Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Whole New Avenue

This year I was lucky enough to have my photo workshop extended to a course spread across a six week period. This was entirely new territory for me. Hosting a class in a four hour time slot was one thing but, hosting an actual class was another. So, to say that I was a nervous wreck before class even started was a complete understatement, one for the record books, I would say. Looking back I wished I'd done so many things different. Like, I wished I was so much more prepared. At the beginning of each class I thought I was but, soon after each class started it became very apparent that I had so much more work to do. I wished that I had spent some more time getting the right transparencies. I wish I had more so that they wouldn't have overlapped, and repeated themselves from time to time. I especially wished I had learned how to stand in front of a class and teach. That said, I really loved my class! The students I had were incredibly inquisitive and engaging! They asked all kinds of questions and always came back with some very creative homework! It was wonderful to see how their minds worked when tossed with a topic or subject to photograph. My hope for them is that they truly continue with their photography and have a great time exploring the many aspects of the art! After all of this, and after getting some great feedback from one of my students, I really hope that I get another opportunity to host a weekly workshop. Not just for the reason that it was such, great fun but also, because I desperately want to get better at this.

No comments:

The proof is in the Pudding

In the past few years I've been going through some things that have caused my photography to come to pretty much a stand still. Plagued ...